Dr. Arun Sharma
Dr. Arun Sharma is a Specialist Neurologist with over 30 years’ experience. Dr. Arun Sharma is trained and certified in Neuro-Electrophysiology from Nicolet Inc. Madison, Wisconsin, USA. He has published several research papers in the most widely read and peer-reviewed world class Neurology journals on the esoteric topics, like “Effects of Protein-energy Malnutrition on the Nervous System”, ”Shy-Drager Syndrome”, as well as on areas of common interest like Diabetic Peripheral Neuropathy, Multiple Sclerosis, Parkinson’s Disease. He has also co-authored “Text Book of Neurological Disorders in Internal Medicine”, published by Springer-Verlag, New York. Dr Sharma has delivered over a hundred presentations in various international and national conferences, as well as CME lectures. He was awarded E. Merck Gold Medal for the best original research paper on “Shy-Drager Syndrome” at World Congress of Neurology held in Montreal.
Best Neurologist in Dubai
Dr. Arun Sharma is the best Neurologist to have founded the Department of Neurology and set up a state-of-the-art Neuro-electrophysiology laboratory at the oldest and one of the most reputed healthcare institution in UAE ,Al Zahra Hospital ,Sharjah and its branch in Dubai, Al Zahra Medical Centre ,Sheikh Zayed Road ,way back in circa 1997.Recently he has replicated the same pioneering feat at the Emirates Hospital Clinic ,Conrad Tower ,Sheikh Zayed Road, Dubai in February 2019.
Over 3 Decades of Experience
After obtaining a Master’s degree in Internal Medicine, and a Post-Doctoral degree DM (neurology) equivalent to a PhD from Postgraduate Institute of Medical Education and Research ,Chandigarh, Dr Arun was appointed to the highly coveted post of Assistant Professor to be a valued peer at the lapidary faculty of universally renowned PGIMER, the pre-eminent fountainhead of academics in Medicine. This prestigious post was offered to him in recognition of several widely recognized original research publications in International Journals that paved the way for diagnosis and treatment of some complex genetic and nutritional disorders. In circa 1997, Dr.Arun Sharma was tasked with founding the direly needed department of Neurology at Al Zahra Group of Hospitals and Clinics by the then Health Minister of UAE. This onus was carried forward until recently with due diligence and sincerity, earning quite a few encomiums and considerable public patronage. A short stint at Medeor Hospital, Dubai was followed by appointment to the current post of Specialist Neurologist and Medical Director at Emirates Hospital Clinic, Conrad Tower, Sheikh Zayed Road, Dubai.
MD (Internal Medicine), DM (Neurology), PhD (Neurology), Post Graduate Institute of Medical Education and Research (PGIMER), Chandigarh, India, FRSM (UK)
English, Punjabi, Hindi, Telugu (all fluently), French (a smattering)
Prior to coming to the U.A.E. in 1997, he held the position of Assistant Professor of Neurology at the prestigious PGIMER, Chandigarh, India. Then he was invited to UAE to become the founder and chair of the Department of Neurology and Neurophysiology at Al Zahra Hospital, Sharjah, and Al Zahra Medical Centre, Dubai.
Areas of Expertise
- Headaches of various types including Migraine, Cluster headache, Tension type headache, Occipital neuralgia
- Facial pains, e.g. Trigeminal neuralgia
- Chronic pain disorders, like Fibromyalgia and Complex Regional Pain Syndrome
- Multiple sclerosis and Optic neuritis
- Neck and Back pain, and other spinal cord disorders
- Walking and balance disorders
- Neurological disorders related to systemic diseases like Diabetes, Hypertension, SLE, Rheumatoid arthritis, Sarcoidosis
- Fainting spells, dizziness, and vertigo
- Weakness and numbness in any part of body
- Tremor, ticks, dystonia, and other movement disorders
- Parkinson’s disease
- Autism spectrum disorders and attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD)
- Forgetfulness, memory impairment and dementias like Alzheimer’s Disease
- Clinical depression, general anxiety and sleep disorders
- Muscle diseases like various Myopathies and Polymyositis
- Myasthenia gravis
- Neuropathy of myriad types
- Disorders of speech acquisition and impairment of acquired speech
- Catastrophic neurological emergencies: Stroke, Brain Haemorrhage, Sustained seizures, meningitis, encephalitis, and coma
- Brain tumours like Pituitary adenoma
- Therapy for Chronic Intractable Migraine, Writer’s cramp, Hemifacial spasm, Blepharospasm, Oromandibular Dystonia, spasmodic torticollis
Available investigative facilities
- A fully-equipped, purpose-built, state-of-the-art Neuro-electrophysiology Laboratory, capable of performing routine Electromyography, Nerve Conduction Studies, evoked potentials, including somatosensory, visual and brainstem auditory evoked potentials, Electroretinography, Single-fiber EMG, Video-Electroencephalogram, with spike detection analysis, and Brain Mapping.
- 3-Tesla MRI machine
- All the conventional and sophisticated neurologically relevant blood tests, including DNA analysis.
- To provide outstanding, individualized patient-centred care to persons with neurological disorders and guidance to their families and caretakers
- To serve my patients with cordial compassion and utmost diligence
- Providing leadership that shapes the practice of Neurology in the region.
- Integrity, professional excellence, constant updating of knowledge and skills while respecting the sentiments of my patients and their family.
Dr. Arun Sharma is the best Neurologist in Dubai.